Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fibromyalgia Month




Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal pain and fatigue disorder. It is a chronic condition and has no known cure. Not only is there widespread pain throughout the muscles and tendons, but it is also known to cause fatigue, insomnia, stomach disorders, and memory problems (also known as Fibro Fog).

Living with the chronic pain brought on by a Fibromyalgia condition can be debilitating and disheartening. But you don’t have to live that way. There are various methods you can explore that when used in conjunction with your daily medication, a reduction in Fibro pain will be noticeable.

In trying to keep your medication intake to its recommended dosage, instead of reaching for another pain pill, you need to use an additional form of relief. Meditation has shown to provide that relief.

You can use meditation techniques found on the Internet when you can’t sleep, when you feel stressed, and when you feel pain. It might not help much with stomach disorders, but it will help you gain some pain free moments without taking more pills.

If the soothing meditative sounds can help filter out stress causing thoughts of money, relationships, life, the cost of gas, whatever is bothering you, then you owe it to yourself to give a try. After you’ve practiced your meditation for a week or two, you will see a reduction in pain and stress levels.

There are many sites dedicated to meditation and to Fibromyalgia, please look them up on the Internet. There are support groups, forums, blogs and social sites where you can share with other Fibro affected people. There are also research-status sites that will inform you on any new developments on the continuing research studies made on this chronic condition.

If there are any Fibro Buddies out there, let me know. Until then, I’ve baked you a cookie and will keep you in my thoughts.


4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

What a great cookie...these would make a great fibromyalgia fundraiser :) Thanks for the information, I really knew nothing about it before.

Megan said...

My best friend has Fibromyalgia. She once showed me a picture that a Fibro patient had drawn. He drew a beautiful tree full of life and leaves. Under it he put "Good Day". Then he drew a dead leafless tree and under it he wrote "bad day". That was a visual of Fibromyalgia I will never forget. Beautiful cookies!

Adam said...

Thanks for bringing this condition to the forefront this month, I think it deserves it.

Treating is tough because many of the treatments are uncomfortable, like exercise, stretching, and massage. The best thing I think people can do is be supportive and take one day at a time.

Thanks for the welcome Teresa. One of my front desk staff brought in tamales today, and I actually thought about you :)

Kelly said...

What a great thing to bring attention to and a beautiful cookie to do it. Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. So far I've only done 2 packages so I am still learning what ships well. I've read a lot about cakes baked in canning jars. I've been meaning to do it for the past two months but I've been nervous about it getting contaminated so I haven't tried yet.