Sunday, July 13, 2008

Picnic in a Box

A box, or a container, or a mason jar; anything with a lid or cover. If you’re going to eat outside and you don’t want flies or mosquitoes buzzing around your food, keep it covered. It’s been so hot and humid here in El Paso after our storms last week that we just wanted to sit outside for a nice and cool weekend meal. But, it was still too hot to BBQ. What to do? I decided to cook a small pork roast I had in the fridge in the crock-pot overnight. After checking to see what would go with it, I saw I sill had some of the red chile BBQ sauce I had made for the brisket last weekend. Hm? Shredded BBQ Pork, some cold Pineapple Coleslaw and Borracho Baked Beans with a little Pico de Gallo. Ok, that was settled. Dessert. I had bananas I was saving for some Buttermilk Banana Bread I was planning to make during the week. When I saw there was more than enough for the bread I decided on our picnic dessert…Banana Pudding. So there you go, our picnic in a box, El Paso style.

BBQ Pork
1 (3-pound) Pork Rib Eye Roast
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons BBQ seasoning

Combine in slow cooker and cook on low for 12 hours. Allow to cool and shred, using two forks. Combine shredded pork, 1-cup red chile BBQ sauce, and ½ cup beef broth in a large pot. Stir to combine. Heat thoroughly.

Borracho Baked Beans
1 large can of BBQ Baked beans
1 12-ounce can beer

Combine beans and beer in sauce pan and heat over low heat. Simmer over low for 15 minutes.

Pineapple Cole Slaw
1 package pre-shredded cabbage and carrots
1 (8 ounce) can of crushed pineapple
½ cup mayonnaise
1-teaspoon cider vinegar
1-tablespoon sugar

Combine cole slaw mix and pineapple in a bowl. In a smaller bowl combine mayo, vinegar and sugar. Whisk to combine. Stir into slaw mix. Cover and chill.

Now put your picnic box together. Layer beans, pico de gallo, cole slaw, and pork in your container. Provide covers for the containers to keep the pests away and off your food.























Make your Banana Pudding. Everyone has a favorite recipe for this delicious dessert. I’m no different. The only thing I do a little differently is I add 1 tablespoon of vanilla vodka to the pudding along with the sweetened condensed milk. I also add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the cool whip before folding it into the pudding. Layer in your container and refrigerate until ready to serve. Ah, summer nights can be so cool when hot.

4 comments:

Tina Butler said...

Yummo I am really hungry now looking at all that wonderful food. What a great idea picnic in a box. I will have to try the pineapple coleslaw. My husband hates coleslaw but loves pineapple maybe we can come to a happy medium. I love your little additions to the banana pudding i will keep that in mind for next time. Job well done Teresa. Its hot in Dallas as well today was 102 ugh its burrito night.

Selina said...

I can't resist banana desserts. Sounds delish with your modification. Is there a default recipe for the pudding somewhere?

-Selina at www.letschow.net

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds like the perfect picnic meal! I mean what is not to love here? I really want this for dinner!

Jenn said...

I made banana pudding last month and Michael told me he hated it. But he still ate it because he's Michael, right?

Last night we started laughing about Freddie running home to tell you Mike was dead. I have no idea why we thought of that.

When are you going to come visit?!