Monday, May 17, 2010

Olive Garden (copycat) Breadsticks

I made some Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo for Bob and couldn’t resist this wonderful recipe I found. Delicious (copycat) Olive Garden Breadsticks. They didn’t take long to make and were absolutely yummy with the fettuccini. I didn’t take a picture of the Alfredo cause I’m sure most of you have made it at one point or another, but I’m including the recipe just in case. Big hugs to all. I’m so totally excited; my son is coming in to town today and can’t wait to see him. Have a great week everyone.



Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks


DOUGH

1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fine salt

TOPPING

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch dried oregano

Directions

Make the dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a mixer; sprinkle in the yeast and set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, butter, sugar, fine salt and 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water; mix with the paddle attachment until a slightly sticky dough forms, 5 minutes.

Knead the dough by hand on a floured surface until very smooth and soft, 3 minutes. Roll into a 2-foot-long log; cut into 16 1 1/2-inch pieces. Knead each piece slightly and shape into a 7-inch long breadstick; arrange 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a cloth; let rise in a warm spot until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Make the topping: Brush the breadsticks with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.

Bake until slightly golden, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt with the garlic powder and oregano.

Brush the warm breadsticks with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with the flavored salt.



Alfredo Sauce Recipe

1 pint of heavy cream
1/4 pound of butter (one stick)
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/2 – 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder

In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 – 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season with a little salt and pepper
 
Cook up some fettuccini and some chicken breast and mix together with the Alfredo Sauce.

6 comments:

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I want this bread, right now. It's lunch time & you taunt me. As soon as I can, I'm going to make breadsticks like these.

Kelly said...

Yum. Those breadsticks sound deliciously decadent, just like the original. I cannot remember the last time I've been to Olive Garden, but I've always enjoyed the salad and bread sticks.

Ivy said...

Great news. In Greek we have an expression "May you great him/her with happiness". Enjoy the time with your son Teresa.
The breadsticks sound delicious and this reminded me that I have some fresh yeast in the refrigerator which is expiring soon.

Anonymous said...

Delicious looking breadsticks! Have a wonderful time with your son!

bonnie said...

great breadsticks, have fun with your son

sweetlife

Tia said...

Hey - I'm going to feature these on Dec 7 in my COPYCAT CLUB recipe round-up. HOpe that is ok! Take care, thanks,

Tia @ Buttercreambarbie