Sunday, December 13, 2009

Snowflake Cookies

These beautiful snowflake cookies are made with the same wonderful butter cookie recipe that was my mother's specialty. Last year I showed you how you can take one recipe and make a multitude of cookies for your cookie swap without the hassle of buying alot of different ingredients.
Galletas de Mantequilla Para La Navidad
Christmas Butter Cookies



With all the festivities going on, you don't want to miss out on all the fun. Make it easy on yourself. This particular recipe is "kid" friendly. They'll love getting their hands into the dough and making their own creations. (HINT: slip some kitchen latex gloves on the little ones to minimize the mess.)

The snowflake cookies was just one more to add to the numerous cookies my kids and I have made using Nana's recipe. Enjoy the holidays and have fun in inexpensive ways.

Galletas de Mantequilla
(Butter Cookies)

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
½ cup sugar
1-teaspoon vanilla
2 to 2½ cups flour

Cream butter and sugar together. Add vanilla. Slowly, add flour and knead to combine well. Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes for easier handling. Roll out a small portion of the dough between two pieces of wax paper to ¼ inch thickness. Dip cookie cutter in flour and cut out desired shapes. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes (middle of oven) at 325°. If desired, before chilling dough, add food coloring during the mixing process. Also, after cutting with cookie cutters, you may sprinkle shapes with colored decorating sugars. Makes about 1 ½ to 2 dozen, depending on size of shapes cut.

For the Snowflakes, just use some decorator icing to draw on the snowflake lines and sprinkle with sanding sugar.

12 comments:

pam said...

Those are beautiful!

Reeni said...

These are gorgeous Teresa! I haven't had a chance to do any baking yet. Just a few more days than I can get in the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Such beauties, perfect holiday cookies!

Electra Maven said...

Hi, How are you? I came across your Blog and I really enjoyed reading it! I found it very interesting! I'm a new blogger so I'd like to invite you to have a look at my blog and feel welcome to give me any kind of feedback and comments on my posts! :) I would really appreciate it! Thanks for sharing information and yr experiences! I wish you all the best! Kind Regards ;)

http://www.electra-spotlight.blogspot.com/

ps: great pics & dishes

Arlene Delloro said...

What a lovely plate of cookies. How smart to use one basic recipe to make so many varieties of butter cookies. I've given in to the whining about my ban on Christmas baking and am making Twix shortbread cookies to make him stop. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEEE the glitter on them!!

Unknown said...

Hi Teresa! It's a pleasure having you reading my blog! For sure I will be going into much more details about how getting traffic for blogs ;)
Btw your recipes are just delicious I will be doing one of yours for Xmas ;)
Let's keep in touch! Take care! x

Electra Maven said...

Just passing by to let you know that the Second post about Internet Marketing for bloggers is up! I remember you said you were interested so there you go!
Wish you the best ;)
Have a great day!
mwah

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such sparkling and pretty snowflake cookies--I love the colors.

Maria said...

You always ahve the most beautiful cookie platters Teresa! Everything decorated so beautifully ... these snowflakes are gorgeous!

Alicia Foodycat said...

So pretty! A simple, home made butter cookie is such a treat.

Kelly said...

Normally I'm all about not repeating recipes, but around the holidays it's nothing but tried and true recipes for the most part.