Thursday, September 10, 2009

Meatball Sub Dinner



In trying to learn to cook for two, I’ve been experimenting with Jenn, the Left-Over Queen’s ideology of utilizing leftover’s in creative ways to keep from wasting food.

Last post, I showed you a fun and different way of making an everyday recipe – Meatloaf – into a surprising way to serve a comfort food; Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting.

Since I’m only cooking for Bob and me right now, I didn’t use all the prepared ground meat mixture in the meatloaf. Instead, I saved it and made meatballs last night for meatball subs.


Yep, that’s right. I just used the same mix for the Meatballs as I used for the Meatloaf. I think Jenn would be so proud of me. Because the meat mixture is on the spicy side, I revved up the marinara sauce with some chipotle powder and a little extra garlic. Topped it off with some grated asadero, served it with some “leftover” pasta salad I had made the previous night to go with some BBQ chicken legs and Viola! Dinner is served.


Well, my leftover adventures didn’t stop there. My last Chocolate post was about a delicious Black and White Pound Cake. I made two loaves. We’ve been eating one and I had one in the freezer. I haven’t made any cookies lately and I’ve been craving something sweet. (I love COOKIES!) So I took the frozen Black and White Pound Cake out of its frozen sleep.

I didn’t want to just serve it to Bob the same way we had been eating it, so I decided to slice off the top – Vanilla (white) – half and make some Banana Pudding Parfaits. I used the same recipe I have used for Banana Pudding. But, instead of using vanilla wafers, I just cubed the pound cake top and used that along with some sliced bananas. Bob loved it – so did I.

So, there are no new recipes here, just recycled ones in a new light. Keep it simple, keep it comforting, keep it fun and don’t discard leftovers. When trying to stay in a budget and you’re cooking for two, just use a little imagination.

********************************
In Memory of 9-11.

15 comments:

lily said...

i'm digging the recipes! yuumm! i took out some ground beef for hamburger helper tonight, but now i think i might save it to make meatball subs tomorrow! i'm too tired to do it tonight, but they sound good. so did the banana pudding with the cake!

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

I love "repurposing" food. ;-) And I agree, Jenn would be proud!

I love her method of using everything. It's something I strive for, as well.

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

Meatball subs are so yummy! Good thinking to save some of the meatloaf mix. The banana parfaits look scrumptious! What a nice comfort meal!

5 Star Foodie said...

Great use of leftovers, the meatball sub sounds excellent!

girlichef said...

I cannot take it anymore...this looks amazing!

Ivy said...

It's amazing how many great things you can do with your leftovers, I do it all the time, as frugal times call for creative ideas. Great use of your leftovers Teresa.

Happy cook said...

I love meatballs, neve tried them like this.
Looks so so yumm.

doggybloggy said...

thats one big sandwich

Foodycat said...

The meatball subs look fantastic! I feel so good when I use leftovers.

Debinhawaii said...

I love leftovers! Your meatball subs look delicious.

Juliana said...

Nothing like leftovers :-) Love your meatball sub...

Ben said...

I've been cooking for two for a very long time so I now know how to use leftovers in a creative way. Sandwiches and pastas are very popular around here, LOL. Great dinner. I so want a piece of that delicious cake. yummy!

Nazarina A said...

Leftover innovation at its ultimate tasty best!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I am SO PROUD!!!! This looks great Teresa! I am glad you are taking your new situation as a jump off point to get creative (in different and new ways) in the kitchen! I would love this for dinner tonight!

I also love the pound cake! YUM!

Thanks for the shout out Teresa! You are awesome! :)

michelle | bleeding espresso said...

VERY crafty of you! I love it!


Btw will you be participating in the 2nd Annual O Foods for Ovarian Cancer Awareness Contest at my blog and at Ms Adventures in Italy again this year? You have until Sept 28th to come up with a fab O recipe...and there are prizes including signed copies of Gina DePalma's Dolce Italiano and Mario Batali's Molto Italiano :D

If you can't participate, feel free to spread the word--there's a prize for that too!